Anyway, mixed in to all of Joe's dominance are some additional champs who were crowned at the end of yesterday’s action, which marked the official end of the 2017 Regular Season:
- La División Culantro - $175 - Valley Bombers (6), Jeff Burns
- La División de Berros - $175 - Mar-a-Lago Orange Sox (2), Joe Kelly
- La División de Caña de Azúcar - $175 - Dongwhipped (26), Kevin Klinkhamer
- La División de Jamaica - $175 - Scoots Bigelow (17), Scott Allen
- La División de la Calabaza - $175 - I'm Maddon for Another One (23), Kathy Lamkin
- La División de la Cebolla Verde - $175 - Valar Morghulis (30), Jeren Livernois
- Hitting Champ - $200 - Mar-a-Lago Orange Sox (2), Joe Kelly
- Pitching Champ - $200 - The Mighty Trepidators (29), Ray Brennan
- Regular Season Champ** - $825 - Mar-a-Lago Orange Sox (2), Joe Kelly
(By the way, actual money winners will be announced at the end of the playoffs, when the Overall Champ is crowned.)
In Other News
Owners can no longer make any trades for the 2017 season.
More In Other News
The playoffs are about to begin.
More Other News Still
As of 10:30 am Pacific time, we have not processed the trades that were submitted to us. Processing these may prove to be an all-week process since we are traveling and going to weddings and all. We'll get everything sorted out before the playoffs are over, we promise.*
Still More In Other News
Y’all need to know how points are awarded during the Wild Card and Divisional Playoffs. Here’s how:
- Hitters earn 20 points for every home run hit
- Hitters lose 2 points for every K
- Pitchers earn 2 points for every K
- Pitchers lose 10 points for every homer surrendered
*Promises not kept to be blamed on things outside our control, whether or not the things were actually in our control.
Or, rather, my Los Monos de Pepinos say good riddance to a dreadful, dreadful season, but a lot of folks in the league aren’t doing that. Like, for example, the following particular folks, who will be celebrating tonight, after the last pitch of the last game, because they will be crowned champs of the 2017 SLPL Regular Season (assuming no one overtakes them on today’s action):
And then there's the folks who are still within shouting distance of the Overall Standings, the folks who will have made adept trades before the end of the trading deadline tonight to stock their rosters full of playoff players who will gain them playoff points and potentially waylay those adept trades into an Overall Championship. Is one of those folks you? Could be, right? So, get your trades in tonight, before the last pitch of the last game.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Los Monos de Pepinos, why couldn't you be one of the cool teams like that? I mean, seriously, W?! T?! F?!
BTW, if you’re making trades, please use this form.
- We have 36 owners — same as last season — including a whopping five(!) new owners and at least one wayward daughter who has returned to the league after being gone for a few seasons
- We have a whopping $3,700 pot!
- Given said whopping pot, the minimum payout to any champ will be $175.
- Our website — your are looking at it right now — is already up and running, mostly.
- Our stats and standings are already up and running; you cal looked at the boxed-in frames version or the free-wheeling no-frames version. This is just an Excel spreadsheet converted to a web-page, so look for the tabs at the bottom of the page to navigate the various pages of information, including how our whopping pot is calculated and distributed.
Welcome to the 2017 Santa Lechuga Power League! Good luck. We hope you enjoy the five-cent Tequila Poppers and our trademarked Cabbage-On-a-Stick!
Oh, and why dontchya recruit a few new owners while you’re at it? You get a free trade — up to three — for each new owner you recruit.
To get you in the mood, here’s a message from league vet Michael “Maddog” Skoien, who a few days ago sent us this timely reminder:
Given the turmoil the world is in it only fitting that Baseball season is soon here to give us a respite. That is what I need SLPL 2017 for and I need it soon! When do we start? Who can I send my money to??
Also, found this quote from "Field of Dreams" today and it summarizes many of our feelings about baseball. Enjoy!!
Terence Mann: Ray, people will come, Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good and it could be again.
Props for the words, Maddog, you most-awesome veteran owner, you! And thank you for showing such enthusiasm for this dopey little league of ours where, by the way, we doled out 3,650 clams to league owners last season so, sure, we may be podunk but we somehow know how to dole out the clams. Just sayin’.
Everybody, we hope to see you in the league this season!