His advice at the end, it is sound. But really, dude needs to chill. We aren't that bad.
The key takeaway? That the Santa Lechuga Power League fills the gaping vacuum in the universe known as “decent fantasy baseball.” How could you possibly not join?
By the way, where you see the date in the video for March 23, 2011? Yeah, ignore that. Think Monday, April 3, 2017. That's when you need to have your rosters to us for this season.
The Santa Lechuga Power League is a campy little fantasy baseball league. It’s no slick-CBS-Sportsline-type league where nobody knows anybody and everybody just wants to end up in the 51st-percentile or above to get bragging rights over a bunch of strangers. Instead, the SLPL is made up of family and friends and extended family and friends of brothers Joe Livernois and Tony Livernois, who run the thing for their own amusement and for the amusement of said family and friends and extended family and friends. And because Jay (as his family knows him) and Tony are simple-minded goofs, they run a simple, goofy little league with big-time payouts. Points are earned using home runs and strikeouts. That's it. Oh, and as a side bet we track the heartbeats of Hall-of-Famers in our exclusive (but entirely optional) Hall-of-Fame Death Pool. It’s that easy.
If you’re thinking about joining, here are six basic steps you need to complete to become a new owner:
- Learn the rules. Abide.
- See the payouts. Drool.
- Review our tutorial for picking a roster. Learn.
- Select your team and submit your roster. Good luck!
- Pay already. Like, before Opening Day so you can earn two free trades.
- Contact us. But only with compliments or questions. No whining. We hate whining. We hate whining so much that we almost sound like we are whining when we express how much we hate whining.
And if you’re looking for a little light reading once the season gets started, why not catch up on the History of the SLPL or read up on the evil Bobblehead-of-Lettuce?
We hope you can join!
We have a good ten reasons to join the Santa Lechuga Power League. Getchyer rosters in by Monday, April 3. Recruit.
Now, the details:
While there are literally thousands of reasons to join the Santa Lechuga Power League -- last year alone the number of reasons equaled $3,650 -- we have listed our ten favorite reasons here.
Remember, you have until Monday, April 3, at 1:05 pm Eastern time to submit your roster. Grab your spot quick-like by using this form.
Oh, and be sure to recruit some new owners. It's always fun to have a lot of fresh blood in the waters ... er ... fresh owners in the league.
Good luck picking your roster!
Oh, and why dontchya recruit a few new owners while you’re at it? You get a free trade — up to three — for each new owner you recruit.
To get you in the mood, here’s a message from league vet Michael “Maddog” Skoien, who a few days ago sent us this timely reminder:
Given the turmoil the world is in it only fitting that Baseball season is soon here to give us a respite. That is what I need SLPL 2017 for and I need it soon! When do we start? Who can I send my money to??
Also, found this quote from "Field of Dreams" today and it summarizes many of our feelings about baseball. Enjoy!!
Terence Mann: Ray, people will come, Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good and it could be again.
Props for the words, Maddog, you most-awesome veteran owner, you! And thank you for showing such enthusiasm for this dopey little league of ours where, by the way, we doled out 3,650 clams to league owners last season so, sure, we may be podunk but we somehow know how to dole out the clams. Just sayin’.
Everybody, we hope to see you in the league this season!
As a reminder of how things will work, entry-wise, though:
- The entry fee is $100, which must be paid in full up front. This covers your ownership fees and your first eight trades.
- If you don't pay your $100 entry fee before the season begins, you will have until April 17, 2017 to pay it. If we haven't received full payment from you by then, you will be deleted from the league. Divisions will be created after owner deletions have been made.
- You can earn two free trades by paying your entry fee of $100 before Opening Day, April 3, 2017. You can also earn up to three more free trades by recruiting new owners.
- If you want more trades, you can buy up to three more at $10 per. However, a trade will not go into effect until the day after you submit the trade or the day after we receive payment, whichever is latest.