Yeah, yeah, yeah, it took long enough for us to finally officially crown Joe Kelly, owner of Mar-a-Lago Orange Sox, as the 2017 Santa Lechuga Power League Overall Champion, but, hey, we have our reasons. First and foremost is, it wasn't really a surprise, was it? Oh, sure a single Correa home run would have catapulted I’m Maddon for Another One owner Kathy Lamkin into the top spot, but what were the odds of that, really? Except for a hiccup or two, Joe had a lock on this thing since mid-June. I mean, this was his season.
Second, look, we were traveling, we might have been a bit distracted, a bit tired, we might have had a drink or two … you know … you understand.
And, third, I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts! IT WASN'T MY FAULT!
Anyway. Hey! Check that out! Joe Kelly won the Overall Championship of the 2017 season! Bitchen for him. As in, 935 bits of dollar-like bitcheness, plus a pass on next season's ownership fees, coming up to a grand total of about $1,035 worth of winnings. That's quite a season Joe put on.
In addition to the Overall Championship, Joe won the Hitting Championship and a Division Championship. He only won monies for the Overall Championship, which means the next most-deserving teams have are awarded the monies for the other categories Joe won. Though he doesn't get to scrape those cash-monies out of the Pot, he is still the official champ in those categories. In addition, he is an official winner of the Jim Cummings Cup, named after the 2005 Overall Champ, the late and much beloved Jim Cummings, and is given each year in honor of winning the Overall SLPL Championship.
And our other champs and money winners! Check them out. In all, $3,720 is being spread across ten winners, with another $200 going to whoever wins the HOF Death Pool.
Way to go, Joe! Way to go all you other champs and money-winners!
Following are all the official champs and final money-winners for the 2017 season:
- Overall Champ: Joe Kelly, Mar-a-Lago Orange Sox
- Playoff Champ: Alec Puente, Get with the Programmer
- Regular Season Champ: Joe Kelly, Mar-a-Lago Orange Sox
- Hitting Champ: Joe Kelly, Mar-a-Lago Orange Sox
- Pitching Champ: Ray Brennan, The Mighty Trepidators
- All-Star Champ: Susan Crohare, The Pretenders
- La División Culantro Champ: Jeff Burns, Valley Bombers
- La División de Berros Champ: Joe Kelly, Mar-a-Lago Orange Sox
- La División de Caña de Azúcar Champ: Kevin Klinkhamer, Dongwhipped
- La División de Jamaica Champ: Scott Allen, Scoots Bigelow
- La División de la Calabaza Champ: Kathy Lamkin, I’m Maddon for Another One
- La División de la Cebolla Verde Champ: Jeren Livernois, Valar Morghulis
- $935 (plus next season's ownership fees) - Joe Kelly, Mar-a-Lago Orange Sox - Overall Champ
- $842.50 - Jeren Livernois, Valar Morghulis - La División de la Cebolla Verde Champ + next most deserving Hitting Champ replacing Joe Kelly as money winner + next most-deserving split for Regular Season Champ replacing Joe Kelly as money winner
- $642.50 - Kathy Lamkin, I’m Maddon for Another One - La División de la Calabaza Champ + next most-deserving split for Regular Season Champ replacing Joe Kelly as money winner
- $200 - Susan Crohare, The Pretenders - All-Star Champ
- $200 - Ray Brennan, The Mighty Trepidators - Pitching Champ
- $200 - Alec Puente, Get with the Programmer - Playoff Champ
- $175 - Jeff Burns, Valley Bombers - La División Culantro Champ
- $175 - Kevin Klinkhamer, Dongwhipped - La División de Caña de Azúcar Champ
- $175 - Scott Allen, Scoots Bigelow - La División de Jamaica Champ
- $175 - Aaron Pankoke, The Strokes - next most deserving for Division based on points replacing Joe Kelly as money winner
Congratulations to Joe Kelly and his Mar-a-Lago Orange Sox! Ccongrats to all our champs and money winners! And thanks to all of you for joining us for a most-excellent season. We look forward to seeing you all next year.
P.S. IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ALL MONEY-WINNERS: Please use this form to give us your preferred snail mail address so Rube can send your check. Or, if you would like him to send you a PayPal transfer, let us know that instead by including your PayPal information.